Center for Oral Health Care & Research
• Cost of building ― $96.5 million
• Four-stories, 198,000-square-feet
• 12 specialty clinics
• 400 dental operatories
• More than 200 dental students provide care each year supervised by more than 150 School of Dentistry faculty members
• 215 individual donors contributed to the building fund for the Center for Oral Health Care & Research
• The center is located at 8210 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas, 78229
• The Center for Oral Health Care & Research is next to the Medical Arts & Research Center, the clinical home of UT Medicine San Antonio, the faculty practice of the School of Medicine. The bridge connecting the two buildings will facilitate referrals, enhance educational experiences and promote dental research as a component of good overall health.
• Major research strengths in the School of Dentistry include stem cell and tissue regeneration, improvements in care for patients with diabetes, salivary gland dysfunction, pain and inflammation, and oral cancer.
• The School of Dentistry leads the South Texas Oral Health Network, as well as the Southwest Region of the National Dental Practice-Based Regional Network, which includes dental and dental hygiene practitioners in five states.
• The Center for Oral Health Care & Research replaces the clinical education space in the original School of Dentistry building on the Long Campus, built after the school was established in 1970.