Dentistry honors health pioneer James P. Hollers
The School of Dentistry and the Health Science Center honored the memory of a staunch supporter of health care in South Texas at the James P. Hollers Drive Dedication and Celebration on May 13. The street connects Floyd Curl Drive and Charles Katz Drive next to the Center for Oral Health Care & Research.
James P. Hollers was a dentist and longtime San Antonio civic leader. He died in 1976 after 20 years as chairman of the San Antonio Medical Foundation. In 1956, while serving as president of the San Antonio Chamber of commerce, Dr. Hollers became one of the active voices in efforts to secure a medical school for San Antonio. In the late ’60s, he became equally as passionate regarding the establishment of a dental school at the Health Science Center.
At the May 13 celebration, William W. Dodge, D.D.S., dean of the School of Dentistry, praised the vision and legacy of Dr. Hollers and how that vision has resulted in a thriving Health Science Center and South Texas Medical Center. Another speaker, Claude L. Nabers, D.D.S., M.S.D., was a contemporary of Dr. Hollers and another pioneer in the early years of the Health Science Center.
Also at the celebration and offering remarks from the family was Dr. Hollers’ daughter, Mrs. Mary Carolyn Hollers George.