Mark Bonnen, MD, chair of the Department of Radiation Oncology, will take on an expanded role as chief medical officer at Mays Cancer Center.
Dr. Bonnen joined us on September 1, 2019 from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He went to medical school at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and completed his residency in radiation oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center. He then spent two years on faculty at MD Anderson before founding a large private practice in the greater Houston area. Dr. Bonnen is a world-class radiation oncologist with proven success in building and developing cohesive multi-disciplinary care teams in both the academic and private sector. He has extensive experience in data analytics through the bridging of electronic medical records and utilizing outcomes data to establish pertinent and measurable metrics that help identify opportunities within a multi-disciplinary care team. Dr. Bonnen was also responsible for establishing and managing multiple community-based radiation oncology satellite facilities throughout the Houston area.
Dr. Bonnen’s new role will focus on several key aspects of our mission, including:
- Act as a close liaison in practice-wide initiatives with Robert Leverence, MD, chief medical officer for UT Health Physicians.
- Oversee multi-disciplinary care clinics within the cancer service line, engaging specialty and disease group leaders.
- Further establish multi-disciplinary care teams, aligning with the MD Anderson Cancer Center model of cancer care.
- Utilize data analytics to expand the reach of the UT Health San Antonio MD Anderson clinical cancer service line, aligning with the needs of our community.
- Work closely with the Mays Cancer Center’s associate directors of clinical research and translational research to ensure our science is woven into all aspects of our care.
Dr. Bonnen brings a magnitude of experience in practice development, entrepreneurship, customer relations management and innovative problem solving to assist in our growth efforts. In his short time at Mays Cancer Center, Dr. Bonnen has demonstrated his dedication to outstanding patient care, team-based efforts and servant leadership.