Six faculty-physicians from UT Health San Antonio were among 25 women honored Nov. 2 by the Bexar County Medical Society as Extraordinary Women in Medicine.
For 25 years the society has recognized the accomplishments and contributions of women in medicine at an annual awards ceremony and dinner.
The six honorees from UT Health are all faculty in the Joe R. & Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine. They include:
- Luci Leykum, M.D., professor and chief, Division of General and Hospital Medicine, Department of Medicine;
- Ildiko Agoston, M.D., associate professor/clinical, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine;
- Stephanie Levine, M.D., professor, Division of Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine;
- Lori Pounds, M.D., associate professor/clinical, Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery;
- Brigitte Bailey, M.D., professor/clinical, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry; and
- Nida “Joy” Emko, M.D., associate professor/clinical in the Department of Family and Community Medicine.
Nearly 5oo people attended the Nov. 2 awards ceremony held at the University of the Incarnate Word, including around 70 faculty from the Long School of Medicine.