Holiday safety tips
Our UT Police Department is concerned about your safety on and off the campus. During the holidays, please keep these important safety tips in mind.
- It is best to shop with someone.
- Keep purses, wallets and other personal belongings with you at all times.
- Put cash, credit cards and identification in different pockets.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Never leave children unattended or unsupervised. Inform you children if they do get lost, to find a police officer or cashier.
- When using ATM machines, be aware of your surroundings as people may be watching.
When at home:
- Try not to put your tree at a window displaying all the gifts.
- If hosting a party, hide valuables.
- If going out of town, ask a trusted neighbor to pick up your mail and use an automatic timer for lights.
- With boxes, cut or tear them up after removing the package to not advertise what new presents you have at your home.
- Increase outdoor lighting with floodlights and sensory lights.
- Consider having a dog to deter trespassers.
- Place no trespass signs on fence.
With your vehicle:
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Always make sure doors are locked.
- Use anti-theft devices like an alarm, steering wheel lock or a kill switch.
- Drive with windows closed.
- Keep all valuables hidden.
For more information on how our police department works to keep our campus safe, visit utpolice.uthscsa.edu.