Facilities Management will be conducting a total power outage impacting the Basic Science Building on the Long Campus from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, Sept 29.
During the power outage, normal CPS Energy power will not be available throughout the Basic Science Building. These are spaces having a “V” designation. All emergency powered systems such as fire and life safety systems, red receptacles, emergency lighting, telecommunications and security systems will remain available.
The power outage is necessary to safely finalize the replacement of several conductors that provide 13.8kV electricity to the Basic Science Building.
Individuals in a space that will be impacted by the power outage are asked to power down their computers and equipment not on a universal power supply (UPS) or battery.
During the transfer to generator power, there is a 10-second delay for generator engines to start. This means that equipment such as a desktop computer not on a UPS, will need to be restarted the following workday.
Individuals requiring extension cords for emergency-powered freezers or any other critical equipment, can contact either Jeffrey Patterson, construction manager, Facilities Management at email@example.com or 210-273-8750 or Raymundo Rivera, MBA, MS, P.E., CxA, executive director of engineering and construction management and chief electrical engineer, Facilities Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are additional details about the upcoming outage:
- Parking lot lighting will not be impacted by the power outage.
- For individuals in one of the spaces impacted by the power outage and using their computers in remote desktop mode, their computers will need to be turned on and logged into after the power outage.
- UT Health San Antonio’s VPN functionality will not be impacted, so placing work files on a server is a good alternate to using a computer in the remote desktop mode.
- Facilities Management staff will be on-site throughout the power outage and the Facilities Management Building will be staffed for any in-person or call-in requests.
- During the power outage, Facilities Management staff will be performing routine space reviews of the impacted spaces.
- The Facilities Management 24 hour/365-day telephone number is 210-567-2880.
No other buildings or spaces on the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long Campus will be impacted. Other location that will not be impacted by the outage include:
- Greehey Academic and Research Campus (STRF, CCRI, RAB, McDermott).
- UT Health San Antonio Mays Cancer Center.
- The Medical Arts and Research Center.
- The Center for Oral Health Care and Research.
- The Sam and Ann Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies.
- The Professional Administrative Resource Center (PARC).
- UT Health Hill Country.
- UT Plaza.
A final reminder notice will be sent two days prior to the planned power outage event.
Below, please find an image of the building’s location.