School of Medicine seniors capture awards for excellence
San Antonio (April 27, 2004) – Sixteen seniors from the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio were honored this spring for their academic preparation and career potential. They received awards relating to fields of medicine ranging from internal medicine and family practice to psychiatry, orthopaedics and pathology.
Hometowns are in Texas unless otherwise indicated. The awards and honorees are:
- Fuller-Giffen Award in Psychiatry – Whitney H. Mitchell, New Braunfels
- O. Roger Hollan, M.D., Award in Internal Medicine – Jennifer Horan, San Antonio
- Holt Leadership Award – Daniel S. Chan, Greenwich, Conn.; Christian Stallworth, Houston
- The Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award presented by The Arnold P. Gold Foundation – Emily S. Meyer, Hondo
- Virginia H. Johnson, M.D., Memorial Scholarship – Michelle K. McNutt, Richmond
- Senior Kline Award in Pathology – Olivia A. Lee, Natchez, Miss.
- Dr. Alexander Major Memorial Family Practice Award – Nilda Guerra-Cavazos, Mission
- Medical Alumni Association Paul Cutler Award for Clinical Excellence – Matthew A. Musick, Houston
- Medical Alumni Association Carlos Pestana, M.D., Ph.D., Scholarship Award – Michelle K. McNutt, Richmond
- Medical Dean’s Award – Daniel S. Chan, Greenwich, Conn.
- John S. Primomo Endowment Awards
1. Academic Family Medicine – Scott M. Thomas, Spring
2. Community Service – Natalie M. Biediger, San Antonio
3. Exemplary Family Physician – Emily S. Meyer, Hondo
4. Public Health or Research – Alice B. Blount, military dependent
- Charles A. Rockwood Jr., M.D., Award for Excellence in Orthopaedics – Christopher A. Beadles, Odessa
- Alvin O. Severence, M.D., Award for Excellence in Pathology – Jacqueline Emmons, Richmond
- Paul C. Weinberg Award – Samia Benslimane, El Paso; Andrea Campaigne, San Antonio
Several faculty members were recognized for their exemplary work this academic year. Outstanding Faculty Awards were awarded in the following categories:
- Medicine – Kevin J. Carlin, M.D.
- Pathology – Nan Clare, M.D.
- Surgery – Robert M. Esterl, M.D.
- Cellular and structural biology – Linda Y. Johnson, Ph.D.
- Pharmacology – T. Kent Keeton, Ph.D.
- Cellular and structural biology – Thomas S. King, Ph.D.
- Medicine – Kristy Y. Kosub, M.D.
- Surgery (Regional Academic Health Center) – Marion R. Lawler Jr., M.D.
- Cellular and structural biology – Fred Richards, Ph.D.
- Psychiatry (Regional Academic Health Center) – Clay W. Ross, M.D.
- Surgery – Ronald M. Stewart, M.D.
- Obstetrics and gynecology – Craig A. Witz, M.D.