Stay alert, stay safe
With more activity and people on campus, the UT Health San Antonio Police Department urges the campus community to stay alert and follow these important safety tips.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- If you observe suspicious vehicles or individuals on campus, immediately contact the UT Health San Antonio Police Department by calling 911, 210-567-8911 or 210-567-2800.
- If able to be done safely, write down or memorize the description of the individual or vehicle.
- Important information includes hair style and color, color of complexion, height, weight and clothing description.
- Important information pertaining to suspicious vehicles includes make, model, license plate and any other identifiable information, such as decals.
It’s important to be aware that catalytic converter thefts have risen recently in the San Antonio area and nationwide. UT Health San Antonio Police Department has been made aware of a theft of a catalytic converter that occurred at the Mays Cancer Center parking garage on March 29, 2021.
Trucks, SUVs and hybrid vehicles are particularly at risk of having catalytic converters stolen. The theft of catalytic converters only takes a few minutes to achieve.
To prevent catalytic converter thefts:
- Weld the catalytic converter to the vehicle’s frame to make it more difficult to steal.
- Engrave the vehicle identification number (VIN) on the catalytic converter to make it easier to identify the owner.
- Calibrate your car alarm to sound if there is vibration detected.
UT Health San Antonio Police Department is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Never hesitate to contact the department by dialing 911, 210-567-8911 or 210-567-2800. UT Health San Antonio Police can also be contacted through the UT Health SAfe mobile safety app, available for free download for Apple and Android users.