Two women faculty members named fellows in academic medicine leadership program
Chiquita A. Collins, Ph.D., Long School of Medicine vice dean for inclusion and diversity and associate professor of epidemiology and biostatistics, and Deborah L. Conway, M.D., associate dean for curriculum and professor of obstetrics and gynecology, were recently selected as members of the 25th cohort of distinguished fellows of the Hedwig van Amerigen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) program.
Since its inception at Drexel University in 1995, ELAM has enrolled over 1,000 women leaders and accepts approximately 50 new fellows each year in fields of medicine, dentistry, public health and pharmacy.
Also, Jennifer S. Potter, Ph.D., M.P.H., Long School of Medicine vice dean for research and professor of psychiatry, graduated this May after completing her year-long fellowship which culminates with its capstone ELAM Leaders Forum and graduation ceremonies that involve all current fellows along with their respective deans.
The Long School of Medicine has a total of nine “ELUMS” – graduates of this prestigious executive leadership program for advancing women in academic medicine with the aim to increase the number of women in senior roles in academic health organizations. UT Health SA now has a total of 10 “ELUMS.”
Former fellows or ELUMS and their class year include:
- Robin L. Brey, M.D., professor and chair of neurology, 2007
- Sandra Burge, Ph.D., professor of family medicine and community health, 2011
- Carlayne E. Jackson, M.D., professor of neurology and otolaryngology, vice chair for faculty development and wellness, 2009
- Martha Medrano, M.D., former faculty member of pediatrics and psychiatry, 2007
- Jan E. Patterson, professor of medicine and pathology, associate dean for quality and lifelong learning, director of center for patient safety and health policy, 2005
- Adriana Segura, D.D.S., M.S., professor of comprehensive dentistry and associate dean for academic, faculty and student affairs, 2016
- Paula K. Shireman, M.D., professor and Edna Smith Dielmann distinguished university chair in surgery, 2012
- Gail E. Tomlinson, M.D., Ph.D., professor of pediatrics, 2010
- Janet F. Williams, M.D., vice dean for faculty, professor of pediatrics, 2008